Powerful tips here. I’m not sure of the source. I like these tips and will expand on each in the new year. Happy New Year to you.
A long time friend emailed me these little instructions for life. Since it nicely wraps together thoughts on influence, I thought you’d appreciate it. Urban myth cites the author as the Dalai Lama. However, from what I could determine the list is actually extracted from a much larger one featured in Life’s Little Instructions Book by Jackson Brown and H. Jackson Brown, Jr. Enjoy!
INSTRUCTIONS FOR LIFE
- Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
- When you lose, don’t lose the lesson.
- Follow the three R’s: Respect for self, Respect for others, and Responsibility for all your actions.
- Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
- Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Don’t let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
- When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
- Spend some time alone every day.
- Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.
- Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
- Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time.
- A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
- In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don’t bring up the past.
- Share your knowledge. It’s a way to achieve immortality.
- Be gentle with the earth.
- Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.
- Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
- Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
- Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon.